Everyone moving into an aged care home for the first time from 1 July 2014 will need to have their income and assets assessed by the Department of Human Services or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs if they want to receive government assistance with their care and accommodation costs. This assessment will be used to determine the costs you could be asked to pay and the amount of government assistance you will receive for your aged care costs and accommodation costs.

The Department of Human Services or Department of Veterans’ Affairs will conduct your income and assets assessment. The Department of Human Services will advise you and the aged care home of the fees payable for your circumstances.

If your income and assets assessment is not completed, you will not be eligible for any Australian Government assistance towards your aged care home costs. This means your service provider may ask you to pay the full cost of your care and the maximum accommodation payment you agreed with the provider.